10 Favourite Cleaning Tips.
1. A magic eraser is really magic, even without the use of cleaning solutions! For walls, tubs, sinks, counter tops and other scrubbable surfaces, nothing is better! Remember that erasers are a mild abrasive… always test on a small, inconspicuous area first!
2. If you have dropped candle wax on your carpet, throw a paper towel over top and iron the paper towel. The wax will get warm, release the rug and attach to the paper towel!
3. Vinegar mixed with water and newspaper will clean your mirrors and glass better than Windex!
4. Clean your toilet brush with vinegar/baking soda/ peroxide (1/2 cup of each) put your brush in the mixture and let it sit for a couple of hours. Rinse. All stains are gone from your brush!
5. Clean and sanitize your wood cutting boards with lemon juice. Add salt and rub for tough stains! Just rinse and done!
6. Toothpaste cleans silver/ stainless steel very nicely!
7. Remove permanent marker, crayon, or dry erase marker from wood surfaces by partially wetting a cloth with isopropyl alcohol (aka rubbing alcohol) and rub over the mark to effectively erase it without damaging the wood or its finish.
8. Use a lint roller to dust cloth lampshades. Lampshades can be magnets for dust, dander, and pet hair, but they’re notoriously difficult to wipe clean. So use an adhesive lint roller! Simply run it lightly over the lampshade a few times.
9. Stinky microwave? Grab the biggest microwave-safe bowl you can fit inside, fill with a cup of water and add a dash of cinnamon or a few drops of lemon or vanilla extract, then allow to heat until boiling. Wait for it to cool back down again and then wipe down the inside, leaving the door open for awhile to let it air out all the way.
10. Polish wood like new! An old-fashioned and natural option is to combine one part lemon juice to three parts olive oil to give your wooden furniture a beautiful shine. (Olive oil will also work nicely on granite that has water spots!!